Your Friday excursion will take you on a journey around the Isle of Lewis to visit various points of interest and MacAulay history. We hope you will enjoy this exciting day out and about. The excursion points of interest are subject to change. Except where noted, entrance fees are included in your registration fee.
- Clach an truishal – an amazing standing stone that is said to mark the last battle of the MacAulays and Morrisons. Although it’s been there for 5,000 years, legend has it that a MacAulay raised it after defeating the Morrisons.
- Dun Carloway Broch – fantastic broch with yet another MacAulay/Morrison story. Historic Environment Scotland. Currently the broch is being restored but you can still walk up to it. Small gift shop.
- Callanish Stones – no visit to Lewis is complete without a visit to Callanish. They are spectacular! Historic Environment Scotland. Gift shop and exhibit operated by a separate organization. Fee for exhibit not covered by your registration fee. Gift shop.
- Uig Community Centre & Museum – This is the heart of MacAulay territory. The Museum is excellent. Small gift shop. Lunch included in your registration fee.
- Uig Sands (15 minute walk, one way from Uig Community Centre) – The Lewis Chessmen were found here in 1831 and it is a truly beautiful spot.