If you’re arriving before the Gathering or staying for a few days after, we hope you will take advantage of the opportunity to visit other sites of interest. Although Lewis and Harris are called by separate names, they are connected by an isthmus. We encourage you to check out Visit Scotland and Visit Outer Hebrides.
Isle of Lewis
- Cairn, near Barvas – marks the purported last battle ground of the MacAulays and Morrisons.
- The Arnol Blackhouse – an excellent example of a blackhouse. Many of the Hebridean MacAulays would have lived in blackhouses. Historic Environment Scotland. Gift shop.
- Lews Castle, Museum Nan Eilean, Stornoway. Great museum exhibits and has several of the Lewis Chessmen on display.
- Iolaire Memorial (Holm Point, car required, walk to monument from car park required)
- Lewis Loom Centre
- Harris Tweed Authority
- Stornoway Golf Club
- An Lanntair Art Centre
- Drive MacAulay Road!
- Shopping in Stornoway
- Whalebone Arch – Lord Donny MacAulay and his wife owned this property at one time.
- Norse Mill and Kiln, Shawbost (1/4 mile walk required, one way)
- Abhainn Dearg Distillery, Uig