June, July and August are normally the warmest months in Scotland, with average maximum temperatures ranging from approximately 15°C (59°F) to 17°C (63 °F). Scotland’s high latitude means that you will enjoy lovely long summer days and often an extended twilight.
Rainfall in Stornoway is high, totaling 1259 mm (about 50 inches) in a typical year. August is not the wettest month of the year, but in the past 10 years it has consistently remained the wettest summer month.
With the weather and event agenda in mind, here are some guidelines on what to bring and event-appropriate apparel:
- Layers are necessary for Scotland!
- Rain gear, fleeces, umbrella, and possibly shorts
- Mitts, hat and scarf — it’s windy
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Gathering apparel —
- MacAulay tartan encouraged!
- Thursday night casual
- Friday day casual
- Friday evening formal attire – no jeans
- Saturday casual (tartan encouraged Saturday night)
Check out the Photo Gallery to see example apparel worn at past events.